Need to remotely access your PC (or smartphone) that is elsewhere? It is possible to obtain remote access both from another computer and from a smartphone, thanks to programs such as TeamViewer or Google Chrome Remote Desktop (Chrome Remote Desktop). Learn to use both when you’re away from home.
Remote Access in TeamViewer
The TeamViewer is the most popular for a reason: it is very good. It doesn’t need complicated settings, it encrypts your data and it’s free for personal use. To use, just download it here, install and start using. The connection is made when you enter the computer ID and password (which appear on the TeamViewer home screen).
In addition to controlling the PC remotely, you can change the screen resolution and transmission quality; if it’s too slow, just lower the quality. You can also chat, transfer files and pinch or drag with two fingers to zoom or scroll, respectively.
Remote access on Chrome Remote Desktop
Google’s solution is also great and works almost everywhere (Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android), as an extension to Google Chrome. But you need to install additional software to proceed. Follow the steps below to make it work:
- With Chrome open, install Chrome Remote Desktop ;
- Log in with your Google account and authorize the app to connect;
- Under “My computers”, click Get started;
- Then, click Enable remote connections ;
- If you are asked to install the Host Installer , click Accept and install ;
- Wait for the download to finish and run the downloaded program;
- Complete the installation, go back to the Chrome extension and click OK ;
Additional remote access in Chrome Remote Desktop:
- If necessary, configure a PIN to allow remote connection and click OK again;
- On the Mac, you still need to authorize in another window that opened. Click on the lock, enter your computer password, then enter the PIN you just configured and click Activate ;
- Ready! Now just download the app for Android, iOS or another PC, log in with your Google account and connect.
At first it seems difficult, but after you configure everything the connection is very easy and instant.
note: If you don’t have Chrome open at the time of connection, the app will connect in the same way.