There are clues as to whether someone has been blocked on WhatsApp, but not always one thing has to do with the other — the person may not have a picture on the profile or have removed the contact from the phonebook, without having, in fact, blocked the other. When someone blocks a number on WhatsApp, the app does not send any kind of warning to those who have been blocked, but for some signals one might be able to conclude this.
How to tell if I’ve been blocked on WhatsApp
There’s no way to be sure that someone has been blocked on WhatsApp, but just like in real life, if no approach works to get to talk to someone, it means that they don’t want to talk at all and that the number has been blocked. Here are some signs that you have been blocked by someone on WhatsApp:
- You can’t see the person’s contact photo anymore. But this can also occur if she removed you from the contact list or simply deleted the profile picture;
- “Last seen” or “online” information does not appear. This information is not visible to blocked profiles or if the user disabled the feature in the app’s privacy settings as well;
- The messages you send to the person will have only a tick, which means that the message has been sent. The two ticks, which mean that the message has been delivered, will never appear if someone has blocked you. In this case the person may not be receiving the messages due to lack of internet connection.
These are uncertain cases. But over time it is possible to conclude that, in fact, the user has been blocked. If the person hasn’t lost access to the number —such as having their phone stolen or actually changed the number—or if it’s been a long time since they didn’t receive a message, it may even be that they blocked that other person.
To confirm, the user can try to make a call to that person (within WhatsApp). If the connection is not made, and the person has not changed the number and has an internet connection, you can complete the lock.
Why doesn’t the online status appear and last seen?
This feature is a double-edged sword. Even if one person hasn’t blocked another person and still can’t see the last time they were online or when it was the last time they joined the conversation, it can occur for two reasons:
- They disabled the function;
- You’ve disabled the function.
A user has access to this information if they also allow someone else to see theirs:
- Go to Settings;
- Tap Account;
- Enter Privacy;
- Under Last Seen, choose the visibility feature.
Read: How to Hide Last Seen on WhatsApp.