Losing your snapchat account can be a problem, especially if Snapchat uses privacy-focused features. If you’ve forgotten your password or someone has hacked your account, losing access to your account is frustrating anyway.
In this article, we’ll show you how you can recover your Snapchat account if you’ve lost access to it, and what you can do to keep it safe.
How to recover your Snapchat account
Before starting the process of restoring your account, you should know what caused you to lose access to your account. Sometimes we just forget our password. In other cases, someone may have hacked our account and taken us out of it. You will see how you can regain access to your snapchat account in both cases.
How to Recover Snapchat Account If You Lost Your Password
If you’ve forgotten your Snapchat account password and can’t sign in, you can easily regain access to your account by resetting your password.
- Launch Snapchat on your phone and enter your login – username or email address, and then click the “Forgot your password?”
- Now choose if you want to restore your snapchat account using phone or email. Let’s say we chose email. On the next page, enter your email address, then click the Submit button
- Snapchat will now send you an email with a link to reset your password. Click on the link and enter your new password
- If you chose the phone recovery option. Enter your phone number, then choose if you want to use a message or a call option. I prefer the post option as it is easy to use
- Now all you have to do is enter the SMS verification code you received, and then enter the new password that you want to use.
How to Recover Snapchat Account If You Forgot Your Username and Email
If you have not used Snapchat for a long time and are trying to log into your account, forgetting your username, you may face a difficult task.
The easiest way to recover your account is to use your email address instead of your username and then use the forgot password method described above. However, what happens if you forget the email address you used to create this account. Here’s what you can do about it.
- Make a list of all the email addresses you have. Most people who forgot their Snapchat email have multiple email addresses and simply don’t remember which one they used to create their account. So, make sure you list all your email addresses.
- Now launch the Snapchat app on your phone and then follow the recovery process. Use the email recovery feature and enter all your email addresses one by one. If you enter an invalid email address, an error “Email address entered incorrectly” appears.
Repeat the same procedure until you find the correct email address, and then use it to reset your password and recover your snapchat account.
How to Recover a Stolen Snapchat Account
Recovering a stolen Snapchat account isn’t easy. The degree of recovery will depend on the changes the hacker makes to your account.
If you find that your account information has leaked into the database (you need to go to hasibeenpwned to verify ), all you have to do is change your password so that no one can access your account.
If someone else has already accessed your snapchat account and changed your password, you can reset your password to regain control of your account. However, if someone changed not only the recovery email but also the phone number associated with that snapchat account, there is nothing you can do about it.
How to secure your Snapchat account
It’s always better to secure your Snapchat account from the start than to wait for tragedy to strike and then try to deal with it. There are several steps you can take to ensure that your account is always secure and there is a low chance of someone logging into it without your knowledge.
Make sure you have verified your phone number and email
It’s pretty easy to create a Snapchat account. All you have to do is enter your name, date of birth, and phone number or email address. In fact, it can be any email address and phone number, and you don’t need to use the real one.
While it’s great if you don’t want to share your personal email address and phone number with the Snapchat app, it also means that if you lose your password or someone hacks into your account, you won’t have a chance to get it back.
To make sure your email and phone number are up to date and verified, open the app, go to Settings and see if you’ve done it or not.
Turn on two-factor authentication
While you’re in your Snapchat settings, it would be nice if you enable two-factor authentication, as it reduces the chances of someone breaking into your account. To turn it on, open Settings, click on Two-Factor Authentication and follow the instructions to turn it on.
Use a strong password for your snapchat account
While this is obvious, many people use a regular password. You should always follow the guidelines for creating a password. This means creating different passwords for different accounts, using a long and random password with different combinations of numbers, letters and special characters.
To avoid manually inventing complex passwords, use the “password manager” application. There are many good password managers on the market and you can choose the one you like.
Take control of your Snapchat account
I hope this article helps you recover your Snapchat account. If you stick to the recommendations in the article, it will be more difficult for others to steal your account. Let us know your thoughts on the article by writing in the comments section below.