Find out what it is and how to use Cheat Engine, the “universal cheater” that allows you to enable cheats in various PC games.
The Cheat Engine is a program lets you use cheats in PC gaming. With the tool, it is possible to make a game easier or more difficult, change the number of lives, make the character immortal and create other effects. See how to use Cheat Engine.
What is Cheat Engine?
The Cheat Engine is an open source program, capable of making changes to the code of other computer programs. Aimed specifically at games, it allows changing different parameters by touching the game’s allocated memory, which are reserved so that the title can run properly.
The Cheat Engine is able to scan the executable file of the running game and, with a few commands, find the exact memory allocated to a parameter that can be edited by the player, which can result in infinite lives, infinite energy, increase or decrease the difficulty, and etc.
Which games are supported?
Virtually any PC game is compatible with the Cheat Engine, due to the way it makes changes to the game’s allocated memory and the information that is changed, a common element in any software. In theory, any title can be hacked, from the simplest, like Windows Solitaire, to AAA titles.
By default, it is highly inadvisable to use the Cheat Engine or any other cheat and code tool in online games (whether single or multiplayer), under penalty of banning the platform and loss of progress as permanent punishment.
In addition, it is important to remember that the Cheat Engine is a very controversial software and its developer has already had problems with the ESA (Entertainment Software Association); at the time, the site hosted a forum where users shared tables with codes, ready to be used in games, something he no longer allows.
The website’s recommendation is to use the program only for “educational purposes”.
How to use Cheat Engine
The way of using the Cheat Engine may seem a little complicated, but it becomes quite simple once you understand what it can do. The basic steps are:
- Add in the Cheat Engine the initial value of the attribute to be changed;
- Scan the memory;
- Change the value of the attribute in the game;
- Add the new value to the Cheat Engine and scan the memory again;
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 until only one memory address remains;
- Modify the memory address value freely.
Take a random action game, in which the character has an energy bar with a starting value of 100, and you want to raise it to 1,000. The process will be as follows:
- Go to cheatengine.org, download and install the version of the Cheat Engine for your operating system (Windows or macOS)
- Open the game and the Cheat Engine
- In the cheat program, click on the computer icon in the upper left corner
- Locate the game’s executable in the list of programs and click “Open”
- Enter the value “100” in the “Value” field next to the “Hex” box
- In “Scan Type”, select “Exact value”
- Click the “First Scan” button
- The Cheat Engine will list several memory addresses on the left
- Go back to the game and make the character lose energy, for example, up to 88
- Back in the Cheat Engine, type “88” in “Value” and click the “New Value” button
- Repeat steps 7 and 8 until only one memory address is left
- Double-click the memory address, enter a desired value (for example, 1,000) and click “OK”
- The energy value in the game will be automatically changed
- To leave the value fixed (in this case, make the character immortal), check the “Active” box next to the cheat, which will be listed at the bottom of the Cheat Engine.
And that’s all. Please don’t forget to share. Thank you!!